I love reading lists that people make - I feel you learn so much about them by their choices and so I thought I would list a few of my special loves and (maybe dislikes) and encourage you to share some of yours with me. Blog land is such an inspiring place to visit and even though I find myself identifying with most blog ladies it's the little things that define us that make us the women we are now. So keep posted for a few days of lists.
So for today's list it is about those songs that make me cry. If I could choose to have any talent or be anything I wanted to be - a singer would be top of my list. I have always loved singing and spent a large part of my life in a church choir which, as I'm getting older, is appealing to me once again. But I have an average voice - it certainly wouldn't move someone to tears or enthrall a concert hall. Music has always played a huge part in my life and I get deeply moved by some songs- particularly the lyrics. My brother Matthew and I regularly send each other texts with snippets of poetical lyrics from songs we both love or newly discovered ones. He knows that I will probably get choked up just by reading the lyrics - that's if I'm not in the middle of doing something in the classroom when my phone goes off. Tut tut. Incidentally, last time that happened a few months ago I overheard a 9 year old boy say to his partner when my ring-tone for Matthew filled the room (Talk - with the words, 'Oh brother I can't, I can't get through. I've been trying hard to reach you coz I don't know what to do..' ) - he,rather knowingly and particularly confidently remarked, "Oh that will be Coldplay." And the funny thing was he was right - it's amazing what they pick up! Anyway on to my today's list..
:: Songs that make me cry ::
- With One More Look At You/Watch Closely Now ~ Barbara Streisand (The finale of the 1978 film A Star is Born. My favourite film but not seen for at least 20 years..sob). A song about the worst thing that could ever happen to me - the loss of my soul mate.
- This Woman's Work ~ Kate Bush. This is a hauntingly beautiful song and melody which sends me every time even though I'm not really sure what it's about!
- Aubrey ~ Bread. Matthew recently introduced this to me and we just love the lyrics .." and God I miss the girl, and I'd go a thousand times around the world just to be closer to her than to me." And in the last line he changes it to, "and I'd go a million times around the world just to say she had been mine for a day.." I think it's about a baby who died but Matthew thinks it's about a girl. Who knows, but it pierces the heart!
- Sand & Water ~ Beth Nielsen Chapman. A song about the loss of her husband but it's the line.."..All alone I raise this child..flesh and bone he's just bursting towards tomorrow and his laughter fills my world and wears your smile."
- Scarlett Ribbons ~ Sinead O'Connor. It doesn't help me that her voice breaks with emotion in the middle. Oh, a mother's love.
- Song for Athene - Sir John Tavaner. Info and lyrics here. Probably the most exquisite piece of music ever written and one I would like at my own funeral. I can't listen to it without a huge lump in my throat and goose bumps over my body.
- Diary ~ Bread. (I don't really like Bread either!) It's the lines.."and as I go through my life I will give to her my wife all the sweet things I can find." Then at the end " and as I go through my life I will wish for her his wife all the sweet things she can find. All the sweet things they can find."
- Ruby Adeline ~ Minnie Driver. This is my song for Lucy, it's my ring-tone for her.
- Little Star ~ Madonna. This is my song for Alice and also her ring-tone.
- Beautiful Child ~ Eurythmics. My song for Tom but it's not cool enough for his ring-tone!
- Ripples/Snowbound ~ Genesis.
- Good life ~ Francis Dunnery because I have a exceedingly good life.
- Sweetest Taboo ~ Sade. The song I heard the morning of our wedding.
- Let Me Say Once More ~ Amy Grant. A song I would dearly love to sing on a stage to, and for, my Anth.
- All I Need To Know ~ Emma Bunton. Another love song for Anth.
- Most of Coldplay's back catalogue.
- Any peal of church bells.
So that's all I can think of now but it is by no means finished. If you want to join in then please do. Until tomorrow..